I titled my blog "Running from the Rainbow" because it was one of my personal goals to avoid becoming a stereotypical gay guy at the time I created it. I've realized that the gay stereotype is constantly changing; and I'll always be different without any effort on my part. I'm just going to be whoever I happen to be.

Sunday, April 06, 2008

The Biggest Disappointment In College

I often feel that the person that I was in high school and the person that I am now are two completely different entities that have very little in common other than the same general background and upbringing. In high school I developed a very strong self identity. I say I developed it in high school, but in actuality the way I identified myself in high school was something that was very much a part of me from the time that I was very young; it just evolved to include something I hadn't really come to terms with before then: my sexuality. Once that was integrated into my sense of self, though, it was as if everything became very solid. I wasn't exactly full of confidence, but I knew exactly who I was and nothing anyone said or did could change that. I was principled, moralistic, prude, intelligent, introspective, conscious of important controversial issues, and somewhat in touch with my spirituality. This strong sense of self that I had come to embrace in high school, however, has completely melted away since I moved away from home and entered college. Everything about me is so fluid now: I have no idea what I like to do, what I am passionate about, or what issues I stand for. Basically, everything that defined me as a person back then is gone. I don't even really remember how I would have answered someone if that had asked me to describe myself at that point. When people ask me that now the answer is a resounding "I don't know how." The absolute truth is that I don't know where to begin because I have nothing to latch on to.
This has been somewhat of an existential crisis for me for the past few years, though I've been able to push it to the back of my mind because I rarely take the time to examine myself anymore. Beyond that I really just don't stop to think about anything, I've just been living life day to day with the slight notion that there has been some sort of void inside of me. The other day I had a realization of what that void might be. I was reading an article about the photograph series "Ricas y famosas" by Daniela Rossell for one of my art history courses when I came across this quote:
"Daniela's book portrays a different form of poverty, a less obvious type of poverty: that of the soul. A spiritual poverty that comes from loneliness, boredom and an existential nothingness..."

To me one's soul represents everything that that person stands for, everything that they are passionate about and everything that they identify themselves with– all of the things that I now lack. I thought, "holy crap! I lost my soul." I always thought that I might lose my soul if I let myself become immersed in what I considered "the shallow gay lifestyle" like so many of the other gay teenagers I observed as they came out in high school and were absorbed into the gay subculture. But instead I lost myself in a more unexpected way: in the transition from my teen years into adulthood.
I hope that one day I will rediscover my soul. I hope that I will once again have a sense of purpose, that I will know where I belong in the world. I hope to be able to believe that I am a unique person with something to offer someone else in a relationship, with something to contribute to society. I just want something that will set me apart from the crowd, but until then I will be what it is I have become since I left high school, what my friends and roommates see me as now: the ditzy blonde boy who is absent minded, unremarkable, with nothing valuable to contribute and just a little bit pathetic.

Labels: , , , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site was designed to be viewed in Firefox, Netscape, Mozilla, K-Meleon, or Apple Safari at a resolution above 800x600.